Monday, August 31, 2009

Sprouts!

I'm in this five-and-a-half day transition period right now. I got back from Hippocrates on Friday, and I'm leaving for Rhode Island to pick up my stuff from my grandparents' house on Thursday night.

There are few really important things to consume daily on the Hippocrates diet. They are wheatgrass juice, sprouts (sunflower, especially), lots of supplements, green drinks, and garlic. Alright, I'm kidding about the garlic, but that stuff seriously cures everything.

So, I have been trying to figure out how to make the diet work here. I've been getting roughly $3 double shots of wheatgrass at Jamba Juice every day, which isn't that big of a deal for the next few days, so I'm set there.

The sprouts are entirely different, though. Thankfully, the Whole Foods that is five doors down from my house sells sunflower (the best sprout to consume, since it contains all of the essential amino acids) and snow pea sprouts (a close second to the sunflower). However, the sprouts cost $4 for a 2 ounce bag. Therefore, they come out to $32 a pound. At minimum, I've been consuming 8 ounces a day; at maximum, I'm closer to 16 ounces. I decided not to put the sprouts in my juice, resulting in the minimum number for two reasons. One: the juicer that I'm using temporarily is pretty terrible, and barely juices the sprouts. Therefore, the sprouts are too expensive to only get a bit of juice from them, and I drink straight up celery and cucumber juice instead twice a day.

I thought calling the place where the Whole Foods near me gets the sprouts was a great idea, and I found out they were in downtown Chicago. I talked to my dad about getting them, as it would be very much a cost-saving venture, but as soon as I told him exactly where the place was located he said, "Got your flak jacket? Ammunition?" So, therefore, I doubt I'll be getting sprouts much cheaper for the next five days. If I come home for a more extended period of time, I'll probably try to look into something more sustainable or maybe risk my life in the inner city to get my nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment